Pages

Friday, June 5, 2009

Hollyhocks

It's the year of the hollyhock for me. After years and years of trying and having some success out at the old ranch, at least before the squirrels discovered how tasty they were, I've now have four plants in the back and two in the front. I like the verticalness of them. 
 
The double flower (pictured above) looks quite pretty, but it does not hold its flower for long. So it looks like wads of tissues have been used and then thrown under the plant. Not pretty. 

The single flower (pictured below) is a gypsy. I think they revert to white singles if they self sow. It is taking up space in a raised bed which normally would bug me because I covet my vegetable space, but this year I'm all "live and let live."*
Also in this picture is my clothesline newly installed. It is retractable, even removable. The red thing on the line is a cap you use to cover the hole when the clothesline is removed. Some engineer was doing his job that day.

*Except for inside the house spiders. They receive the death sentence.


1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Lovely double hollyhock, I can never seem to get them going longer than one year..I am of the live and let live mood too..except for ssssnakes:)