Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Spicy Pork Meatballs Are God

So last week I'm driving all over town with my significant other, The Mister, picking up items for our meals for the coming week and stuff for a gift basket I made for work and we made like ten stops and that is very wearing on a person especially in 95 degree heat and we finally got to our last stop which was the grocery store to pick up our protein which is what they call on Top Chef I mean we've always called beef, pork, chicken but now we call it protein like we're foodies or something and the checker and the box boy which is what we used to called them but they're now probably called "associates" so they feel better about being paid $6.80 an hour were very talkative not to us mind you but amongst themselves and this has always annoyed the heck out of me because here I am spending my money or rather his money and lots of it so give us some respect but no and the box boy who was a girl announced she was getting off work in an hour to another associate as she tossed over her shoulder bags of our groceries then we hit a snag a daikon snag the checker I mean associate first didn't know what it was and then couldn't find it on the price list and after five minutes literally I could see steam emit from The Mister's ears blah blah blah it went around to the checker the box boy and another checker and then the manager and then the checker wanted to know why I even *wanted* the daikon.

In the parking lot now:
I can't believe how stupid people are, he said.
And slow, I said.
I thought I was going to .... (trailed off).
Now we go home, I said.
Finally, he said.

[Driving in silence]
[for a long time]
[hitting every darn redlight across town]
[last light]
[turns red just as we get there]

God must hate you, I said.
Oh you know it, he said.
God is punishing you, I said.
He's been punishing me ALL DAY, he said looking at me when he said ALL DAY.
{pause}
{I laugh}
{pause}
What?
Just what makes you think God's a He, I said.


Spicy Meatballs

2/3 lb. ground pork
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (or more to taste)
1 egg
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce

In a bowl mix all ingredients using a butter knife to cut and fold. Cut, scoop, and turn the bowl a quarter turn. This will keep the meatballs from becoming buckshot. Take your time. When fully mixed, take a teaspoon amount and roll out little balls, place on parchment in a cooking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes.

1 comment:

my name is Amanda said...

Those look so good! I am totally trying them out once I get this week's batch of recipes...