Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

Gingerbread in a Jar


I bought a flat of these half pint jars with wide mouths, and probably should get some more too. I filled two with gelatin made with fresh juice, two with strawberry sauce, and eight with gingerbread. 

The house smelled good that day. Gingerbread in August made me lust for Christmas.

I adapted a recipe called "Canadian Gingerbread" from the book, The Complete Book of Gingerbread: Traditional Gingerbread Recipes and Designs From Around The World

I added ground cloves and ground nutmeg. And substituted Agave Syrup for the Light Corn Syrup. 

Believe it of not, I actually had Light Corn Syrup in the pantry. It was at least five years old, although never been opened, and slightly yellowish. The ingredients were High Fructose Corn Syrup and Sugar. I tossed it in the trash.



They came out pretty good, but I would test for doneness (toothpick comes out clean) about five minutes earlier.

I froze a bunch to see how they taste after sitting awhile and then being defrosted. The recipe calls for the bread to sit a day to develop more flavor.

How anyone who smells gingerbread cooking resist eating it for 24 hours is beyond me.


Last weekend I made homemade mac n cheese and had some extra sauce. I'm thinking I might add it to  puree potato soup. I grew potatoes again this year, um, kind of by accident. But that's another story.





No comments: