Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Kimchee


When I mentioned to The Mister that I was going to make kimchee, he said, "Oh good! more food for me!"

That is because kimchee can be spicy, and I have to be careful with spicy food - lest my stomach might up and leave town.

So I looked at various recipes hoping to find one where I didn't need anything too exotic and found one where many of the items were optional. All I really needed was red pepper, garlic, and ginger.

Here is what I did.

Washed and cut into chunks one head of cabbage, the Napa variety, fresh-picked. Brined overnight in 3/4 cup of salt and one gallon of water. I used a plate to press down to floating cabbage and placed my garlic smasher rock on top of the plate.

This morning I rinsed the soaking cabbage with cold water and drained.

I boiled one tablespoon of rice flour with 3/4 cup of water. Set aside to cool.

Smashed a diced knob of ginger (peel removed) and five cloves of garlic in mortar and pestle.

In large bowl added rice mixture with garlic/ginger paste, one tablespoon of red pepper powder, one tablespoon red pepper flakes, diced carrots, diced radishes, and gave it a good mix, then I added the cabbage. Stir to combine.

Packed in glass jars and top with salt water (one tablespoon per one cup of water).

Now the trick here is to wait. Store in the fridge for one to two (or two to four) weeks depending on the recipe. One recipe said it's ready for immediate consumption.

The Mister tasted it, as did I. He thought it was hot (spicy), but it didn't seem to register that high with me.

We shall see...

1 comment:

Mrs.Oz said...

I don't know much about this. Is it like a relish? Do you eat it like a salad?