Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Shrimp Cocktail


I was inspired by Alton Brown's Good Eats episode on shrimp. Typically I will buy cooked shrimp from the grocery store and pour cocktail sauce on it and eat it, and hey - that's fast food that's good.

But Alton said never buy cooked shrimp. Never! Buy uncooked and do it yourself.

So I gave it a shot.

Unpeeled, but deveined, with tails, but no heads. Frozen.

After they were thawed, I brined them in 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup salt, and 1 cup hot water that was allowed to cool first, and added a tray of ice cubes for 15 to 20 minutes. Drained and dried with paper towels. Lightly oiled and placed on a baking sheet. Cooked at 350 degrees Farenheit for 13 minutes. And thrown into a ice cold bowl to stop baking process.

Peeled. Arranged. Sauce (out of a jar, shhhh). Light squeeze of lemon.

Results? So very very tasty compared with pre-cooked shrimp (which are kind of salty and rubbery now that I think of it). Definitely worth the effort!


1 comment:

Susan B. said...

you make it sound so easy. I will definitely try this and soon. <3 shrimp cocktail! and so good for you. :)